Monday 10 March 2014

Time flies when you're having fun!

Well, I can't believe it's exactly a year today since I started writing this blog. My posts started very enthusiastically and expeditiously and have gradually dwindled and spread out a little as I've gotten on (and off and on again) my soapbox and vented my spleen about the various niggles and challenges I have had. However, I think that's the case with most blogs, unless the authors get into the commercial realms and although the frequency of posts has reduced, my enthusiasm for the topic and my love of writing about it has certainly not.

My initial aim in starting the blog was to share my experience as a mum with a child with Coeliac disease, in the hope that it might be of some use or interest to other parents in similar circumstances. What I have found is that, through writing, I have gained a way to clarify and get some resolve around the events and situations that we have been faced with. I regularly encourage my clients at work to journal about their experiences to gain catharsis, and can now honestly say that I have first hand experience of this benefit of putting pen to paper (well, finger to keyboard at least). I have also had the privilege of having other parents and people with Coeliacs (and other autoimmune illnesses, some of which I was completely ignorant about) share their stories with me and have learnt a multitude through their experience. Through wider exploration of the web and exposure gained from my blog I have developed a little more insight into 'the gluten-free community' and the support available, from both commercial food companies and charitable organisations who work tirelessly to raise awareness for those who have to lead a gluten-free existence.

The modern day methods of communication being as incredible as they are, there is a little button that you can press when you write a blog that tells you who is looking at your blog, how they find it etc. This has been a revelation and a real source of encouragement, in that I had expected my family and friends to have a little nosey at the blog out of politeness and support, but had not expected much interest beyond that. The little button tells me (although it may be lying to stroke my ego), that people from all over the world have looked at the blog, including Russia, Australia, Germany, Peru and the Ukraine among other countries. How exciting to think that the world, although huge, can be brought closer through writing.

If you enjoy my musings, don't worry, this is not an epitaph, but I do want to take the opportunity to say thank you to everyone who has supported and encouraged me in my first year of writing and to anyone who has taken the time to read through the ramblings and rants.
(Oh, and thank you of course to my gorgeous girl Alexandra, without whom I would probably roll my eyes when someone is being 'awkward' in a restaurant, think that 'gluten-free' was another fad diet, and without whom my life would not be so complete- if a little challenging at times!)



3 comments:

  1. :) Happy Birthday für deinen Blog!
    Ich freue mich immer wenn ich wieder neues bei dir lese :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations on your one year blogging anniversary from one Celiac mom to another!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks celiac mom- love your blog btw! X

      Delete